If you are feeling suicidal
If you are feeling suicidal, there are people who can help. If you live in Canada, you should immediately call Emergency 911 and tell the person answering your call that you are thinking about suicide. There are lots of trained people who can help you get through these feelings. You also go to the Emergency Department of your local hospital.
If you are not in Canada, you can find local emergency services numbers in your phone book or on these sites:
If someone you know is feeling suicidal
Take the suicide threat seriously. Try to get the person in touch with an emergency service, a GP or another responsible person. Even if the person has asked you to keep information confidential, it may be necessary to speak out.
Canadian resources by province
Crisis services also provide free 24/7 phone support and some online services:
- The Support Network A free 24 hour phone line: 780-482-4357. 1-800-232-7288 if outside of the greater Edmonton region.
- St. Paul & District Crisis Centre Toll-free 24-hour crisis hotline: 1-800-263-3045.
- Salvation Army Community & Family Centres Hope Line Monday to Friday 9am till 11.30pm: (780) 424-9223.
- Crisis 24 hrs: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) Province-wide.
- People in Need Crisis Line Free 24/7 crisis hotline: 1-888-353-2273.
Crisis Prevention, Intervention & Information Centre for Northern BC
24/7 Crisis Line serves all of Northern BC: 250-563-1214 or 1-888-562-1214.
24/7 Youth Line: 250-564-8336 or 1-8888-564-8336.
Youth Online Chat 4-10pm daily: www.northernyouthonline.ca
- Klinic Crisis Line 24 hours: 1-888-322-3019.
- Manitoba Suicide Line 1-877-435-7170.
- Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868.
- Chimo Helpline 24/7 provincial toll-free crisis line: 1-800-667-5005.
Newfoundland & Labrador
- Mental Health Crisis Centre 24 hour toll free crisis phone line: 1-888-737-4668.
- NWT Help Line 24/7 crisis hotline: 1-800-661-0844.
- Mental Health Mobile Crisis Team (MHMCT) Toll free 24-hour service: 1(888) 429-8167.
- Nunavut Health and Social Services Toll Free: 1-800-265-3333
- Mental Health Helpline 24/7 free helpline: 1-866-531-2600.
- Problem Gambling Helpline 24/7 free helpline: 1-888-230-3505.
- Kids Help Phone 24/7 free helpline: 1-800-668-6868.
Prince Edward Island
- Island Helpline 24 hour bilingual service: 1-800-218-2885.
- Quebec National Crisis Line 24/7 crisis line: 1-866-277-3553.
- FHHR Mental Health & Addiction Intake Crisis hotline 8am-5pm Mon-Fri: 1-877-564-0543.
- Yukon Helpline Toll Free: 1-866-980-9099